Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Welcome

My name is Gary. I am a "Foodie". Ever since I was young, I've enjoyed sharing and entertaining with food -- with my family, with friends at my place or theirs, cook-offs, dock parties, etc.

I've created this blog for people with similar interests. It is a virtual cooking club, including cooking tips, techniques, recipes, and suggestions for modifying recipes. Readers can and are encouraged to actively participate by posting comments on the blog and on its related discussion platforms where they may include their suggestions, ideas, photographs and videos.

But, this blog will emphasize how to cook healthy meals.

More...
When I decided to take myself off the list of Americans that are overweight or obese, I started studying the literature to find out which nutrition strategy was healthy. (Check out the Nutrition and Health sections in this blog.) After I decided on a healthy Nutrition Strategy, I was faced with the problem of how do you cook food that fits that strategy. Like many of my friends, I didn't know if the food was rabbit food or if it tasted like cardboard. Well -- it's delicious food.

Most of the nutrition books are written by medical professionals, who spend the first 2/3 of their nutrition books stating the reasons, and studies supporting their recommendations. And then almost as an afterthought, they included suggested recipes with very few if any attractive pictures of the healthy meals. The recipes are simply listed in text format.

This blog will change that. I and others (including professional chefs) will cook these recommended healthy recipes. We'll take pictures of the finished meals, and the steps along the way, and therefore we'll create tutorials on how to cook healthy meals. My goal is to show how attractive and good tasting these healthy recipes are. And they can be elegant -- worthy of a being included on a 4 star restaurant menu.

We'll also adapt or modify delicious recipes published by celebrity chefs, and others in cook books and on-line. This blog will repeatedly demonstrate how a few simple steps can adapt and modify delicious and elegant, but not so healthy, recipes into delicious and elegant and healthy recipes.

Over time, this blog will include a wealth of cooking and healthy lifestyle suggestions and tutorials, etc. on-line. It will include written articles as well as photographic and video demos and cooking classes showing how to prepare different healthy recipes organized in a manner that lets a reader find information that they wish whenever they wish.

Foodie and Friends is also hosting a series of cooking classes, taught by professional chefs, which will include healthy recipes and techniques for modifying recipes for healthy food considerations. These cooking classes will become a series of cooking class tutorials made available on-line and through DVDs.

This blog with it's companion discussion platforms allow readers to actively participate. Using this blog's platforms, any reader can become their own cooking show "star" on the internet.

Join me. Let's learn together and "eat healthy, with flavor and style".

Welcome aboard.

Gary Zin, Ph.D.

No comments: